Investigating Suspicious Publishers

Share:
Page Link Copied!

Recently I got a flattering letter from someone named “Florance” who represented the journal Educational Research Applications.  She told me that if I contributed a manuscript by August 30th I’d get a discount on the publication fee which would amount to 1560$.  Say what? That’s real sticker shock if we are talking about $1,560.  “Florance” also told me that the journal has an impact factor of .083.  Out of curiosity I visited the journal web site which is sponsored by “Gavin Publishers.” It claims to be a “scientific” open access journals with very high standards.  No where on the site are author fees given, other than to say they will bill you without letting you know the price of the “author processing fees.”  I also checked Incites Journal Citation reports for a listing of the journal, since that is the venue for obtaining impact factors, and, sure enough, this journal was not listed. Finally, I found out the address of Gavin Publishers and Zillo told me that 5911 Oak Ridge Way, Lisle, IL is a single family dwelling with four bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 3, 075 square feet.  I guess our prestigious international scientific publisher operates out of her home.  Most researchers can spot a fake publisher these days, but if you are not sure, feel free to contact your librarian who is only too happy to investigate.

Go Back