Federal Work Study Research Opportunities
If you are a first year student with a full federal work study (FWS) award, you are eligible to apply to several positions that will provide two semesters of authentic mentored research in multiple disciplines. Position Descriptions.
Apply for these positions through Student Employment. Each appointment is for 14 hrs/week of research and 1 hr/week of professional training and networking with the OUR. The meetings with the OUR will create a “learning community” within the cohort of researchers and provide an informal/relaxed environment for the researchers to be exposed to all of the disciplines, engage in peer discussions and network with OUR leadership. The training will include:
2013-2014 Academic Year:
Fall Semester professional development sessions
- Getting Started in Undergraduate Research Workshop (week 1-2)
- Researching a Mentor Workshop (week 3-4)
- Working the Problem Research Skills Workshop (week 5-6)
- Writing Skills Workshop (w/writing center staff) (week 9-10)
- Business Case Competitions Student Report Out Presentations (week 15)
Spring Semester professional development sessions
- Attending a Research Conference (week 1-2)
- Developing and Writing a Persuasive Research Abstract (week 3-4)
- Developing and Presenting an Effective Research Poster (week 4-5)
- Crafting and Delivering an Effective Oral Presentation Using PowerPoint (week 5-6)
Positions will be appointed on a rolling basis and are expected to be highly competitive so apply today. Have more questions about this opportunity? Visit us today LIB 210.